Summer has finally fully arrived and with all the plants in their season of growth and fruiting, we sync with the cycle of the year and enjoy fresh, seasonal foods that only last this short time.
Let’s toast the arrival of these warmer months and enjoy the essence of summer in form of cool and delicious iced teas!
Herbs and their blossoms are a wonderful choice to not only boost the taste and color of your drink but especially to use their unique effects and fill your body up with nutrients and beneficial plant substances.
One great advantage is that some of them act cooling to our bodies.
THE COOLING EFFECTS OF HERBS
- Herbs like yarrow and elderflower are diaphoretics that stimulate sweating, which helps release heat from the body
- Sour herbs and foods such as lemon balm, rose hips, hibiscus, and sour fruits like lemon, lime, kiwi, berries, etc., have a cooling effect on the body.
(PS: Different Systems of holistic health view the sour taste in unique ways—in Greek medicine sour is considered cooling, while in Ayurveda it is considered warmig, but in normal food quantities, sour can be considered cooling)
- Astringent herbs like cystus, rose petals, raspberry leaf, and green tea are cooling and drying to the body, helping to offset heat and humidity.
- A good hydration as well as water-rich foods like watermelon, cucumber, and salads are cooling also help to refresh the body.
You can play around and find your own personal herbal mixture that suits you and tastes good!
My favorite herbs for ice teas:
- Rose petals
- Red clover
- Lemon Balm
- Lemon Thyme
- Green Tea
All the herbs can be used fresh or dry.
(You need less if you use dried ones.)
I particularly like to add some lemon or lime juice at the end, just as a source of citric acid for a nice sour finish.
- Pour boiling water over herbs in a heat proof container or mug.
- Let steep for 15-30 minutes.
- Sweeten to taste with honey, coconut sugar or any other sweetener and add some lime or lemon juice if you like.
- Strain and enjoy as a chilled tea.
If you create your own herbal ice tea blend, send or tag me in your creations on Instagram!
Can’t wait to see what you will create. ?